Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, January 15, 2010

Our Story

Wow! How things have changed for James and myself! I always said that I wanted to start a blog, and never seemed to find the time. Not to mention the fact that I was pretty miserable on bedrest when I had the most time! Oh well, I guess now is as good of time to start one as any.

After 2 long years of trying to have a baby, James and I decided to go the fertility route. After one very successful round of IUI/Follistem, we discovered we were FINALLY pregnant. I will never forget the day that I took the home pregnancy test and saw a plus sign. James was at work, so I thought I would take a test in hopes that I would be able to surprise him once he got home. At first, I really thought I was imagining the plus sign. I had taken so many pregnancy tests in two years that I thought maybe it was my imagination. I was so excited, but very hesitant. I went to Walgreen's to buy another test to prove that I wasn't imagining anything. I even bought the idiot proof test that says pregnant or not pregnant. To my surprise it said, Pregnant! I was so excited, but of course couldn't wait until James got home to tell him, so I had to call him. He was equally as shocked and excited as I was. I called the doctor's office to tell them the good news. They told me that I should come in to have blood work drawn to confirm that I was really pregnant. I had to go in once more a few days later to have blood work drawn again to ensure that I wasn't going to have an early miscarriage. Now to the shock of our lives!

On Thursday, June 4, 2009, we went to the fertility clinic to have our first ultrasound. I remember feeling panicked. I had prayed for days leading up to the ultrasound that we would hear a heartbeat. Notice I said "a" heartbeat! As the sonographer began the ultrasound, I will never forget the words that came out of her mouth, "oh wow!" As I looked at the screen, I could see what looked like little circles. Being a little nieve, I asked if she could see a heartbeat. She smiled and said, "well there's one, there's two, there's three." At this point I realize that she is counting babies and doesn't seem to be done. I looked over at James who is no longer sitting in the chair next to me, but standing with his jaw almost touching the ground. "There's four!" I think we felt every different type of emotion you can possibly feel. The first 15 minutes home, were spent in complete silence. Neither James or myself knew what to say. After a tiny bit of the shock wore off, we decided we should tell our parents, since we would need all the support and prayers we could get. Everyone knew that I was pregnant and that we were having an ultrasound, however, nobody was prepared for what we were getting ready to tell them. In fact, nobody believed us at first. Everyone thought we were playing some kind of funny practical joke. Little did they know, we were as serious as you can get!

We were told to schedule an apointment in two weeks to have another ultrasound. since there was a 25% chance that my body might not be able to handle all four babies, and could lose one or more of the babies in the next couple of weeks. Although it may have been a bit easier or less of a financial strain to only have 2 or 3 babies, we were praying that there would still be four strong heartbeats. We were pleasantly surprised and relieved once we once again counted four healthy little heartbeats. We knew that God obviously has a plan for us, and wouldn't give us more than what we could handle. Since then, that belief has been what has gotten through all of this. After seeing our four miracle babies, and holding them for the first time, I believe more than ever that everything happens for a reason. What a wonderful blessing!

Here are a few pictures of our journey into parenthood.......

This picture was taken at the Keith Urban concert. I was 8 weeks pregnant, and had just found out I was having quadruplets!

This picture was taken at 30 weeks. Four days before I gave birth. I was huge!!!

Montoring the babies heartrates. This was the most uncomfortable part of my days on bedrest because I had to lay pretty flat on my back, and hold still for an hour. Most of the time someone would act up, and get everyone off the monitors!

They even allowed "pet therapy" on bedrest. I always looked forward to visits from Gunner!

1 comment:

  1. Did they allow you to have a natural birth?